L5R: Storm of Velvet Shadows
STEP 1: PICK YOUR CLAN
This is the most defining aspect of any Legend of the Five Rings character, and the one that will most impact your role-playing experience. Select the Great or Minor Clan from which your character originates. All the Great Clans (Crab, Crane, Dragon, Lion, Mantis, Phoenix, Scorpion, Spider and Unicorn) are available. For Minor Clans, you can select from Badger, Hare, Sparrow, Tortoise, Dragonfly or Shinsei monk.
STEP 2: PICK YOUR FAMILY
Even within a single clan, the various families offer a wide variety of characters that can be created. Once your clan is chosen, pick one of the families that make up the clan in order to receive additional benefits. The mechanical benefits of individual families are listed under the Clan information pages to which they belong to.
STEP 3: PICK YOUR SCHOOL
Within the families of the Clans there are various Schools that teach ancient, secret Techniques of considerable power. These benefits are listed and give characters an edge over their enemies and identify them as a trusted member of the clan. Player characters start at School Rank 1.
STEP 4: CUSTOMIZE YOUR CHARACTER.
Use 40 Experience Points (XP) to spend on purchasing Traits, Advantages, and Skills. Additional Experience Points may be acquired by purchasing Disadvantages.
The cost of each statistic is as follows:
- Non-Void Trait = new rank x 4
- Void Ring = new rank x 6
- Skills = new rank x 1. Skill Emphasis costs 2 XP.
- Shugenja Innate ability = 1 XP per Mastery Level of the spell.
- Advantages & Disadvantages have their cost listed in their description.
STEP 5: DERIVED ATTRIBUTES
Certain abilities or traits that a character possesses are determined based upon other things.
- Each Ring value is the lower of the two Traits that comprise it.
- Honor (defined by School).
- Status (1.0 by default, +/- any Advantage/Disadvantage you take).
- Glory (1.0 by default, +/- any Advantage/Disadvantage you take).
- Calculate Insight Rank.
- Calculate Wounds (Earth ring x 3)
Insight Rank is calculated by simply adding all the Ring values and multiplying the sum by 10. Then add the total ranks of Skills that the character has.
The base multiplier for Wounds is at Earth ring x 3. There are 8 wound ranks. The 1st wound rank is Earth ring x 5, the next 7 are at Earth ring x 3.